“Experts” everywhere in social media want to show and tell their secrets to social media success. I’m here to tell you that you can boil it down into three steps.
I learned these managing the social media for the Dallas Cowboys and over the past five years working one:one with clients who were struggling with how to use social media properly.
There is a lot of work involved in these steps, but if you take the time and the steps you will learn more about your audience and how to drive them to a conversion.
#1. AUDIENCE FIRST!
This seems simple, but I have met with and worked with many companies that fall short in truly understanding their audience or customers. They have the demographic information…age, male/female, HHI, etc…but they rarely understand the audience at a deeper level.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- How does your target audience “Live Around Your Product/Service?”
- What are their life experiences that you can connect your product around?
- How can you enhance their experiences in how they are living?
Its learning how to talk about your product/service without talking about your product or service.
- Dry Cleaners – chat about and share fashion tips. Cleaning drapes.
- Auto Body Repair – What to do after an accident. Tips on Auto Maintenance.
- Give them something your competitors aren’t!!
And finally, when it comes to Audience First, it’s NOT ALL ABOUT SALES!!! Follow the 80/20 rule: 80% Social Posts and 20% Sales Posts. Your Audience Thanks You!
#2. TAKE YOUR AUDIENCE ON AN ADVENTURE!
When you do your research above and really understand your audience…take them on an adventure with your brand. Let them experience your brand in their lives. On average there is only about 3%-5% of your audience that are ready to buy at any given moment so what are you doing about the other 95% – 97%? This is where social media shines!
Social media is where you make the Connection that leads to Conversion. Take them on your brand’s adventure. Customers want to business with people…show them who you are! One of our client’s most engaged posts were Friday morning videos of the staff throwing darts at a board of balloons and winning prizes. Yes, that worked. It showed the company was real and cared about their employees.
Make your brand/product/service REAL. In today’s “over marketed to” consumer it’s critical you connect at deeper levels…being real is the best way.
#3. ANALYZE YOUR EFFORTS!
How are you ever going to know what your Audience relates to if you don’t analyze your efforts?
Take the time to look at the data in your social media. It will clarify what resonates with your audience. Don’t get caught up chasing “Likes”…focus on Engagement/Shares/View (video content – which you should also be doing).
As you continue to test different approaches in your social media (again, based on audience knowledge), the data will help you in knowing what’s working and to continue to test subject/content that is successful. Use the data to limit your “misses” and soon you will be driving more Audience Adventures!
Take home messages:
- Think Audience First! It’s not about you…it’s about them!
- Audience Adventure: Take them on a journey with you
- Analyze What’s Working: Find your Successes in the Data